Monday, December 11, 2006

I'm getting old, this is on safety issues

Would this be news in Russia?

I remember the day when the major traffic accident in Finland's history happened in March 2004 (read
this )I told about this to a Russian friend of mine and her first reaction was full of sorrow: she told me that kind of accident would not even be mentioned in the news in Russia.

Another thing that I occasionally think of is that, in Finland there are organizations such as Poison Information Center and Finnish Food Safety Authority. When a truck gets into an accident and some chemical leaks out, there is instantly information about it in the radio and the Emergency Response Center informs inhabitants of the area. For me, it is very important such organizations are present in the every day life. They are structured, trustworthy and reliable. Thanks to them, I know I can jump into any pond in the whole country and not get killed by some chemical that some people let run into the nature just because they didn't feel like paying for the bill of proper waste handle.

Before such organizations are present, I guess it's even hard to imagine how great they are. I hope people in every country would demand for such services. Once you explore a world without them, you notice what a treasure they are.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home